Wednesday 11 December 2013

Alchemy Lab




Sketches and finished environment!
I'm not entirely happy with the finished one, it's... it just... it's lackluster. It needs more contrast, more definition and detail and a definite focal point - something I was hoping to create with the giant glowing thing, yeah? But the end result is too busy. Focus was supposed to go from the main character in the foreground, to the giant glowing thingie. I'm not sure that's what's going on...

But I AM happy with the concept. The finished piece just needs to look less amateurish. It WAS rushed, but eh, I have myself to blame. Next time I have to start earlier, and lay OFF the sketching already!
I lost so much time on the sketch, and then afterwards you have to paint over it and blend it back in, such a hassle.

Also with block colours there's no getting away from lazy values and boring, lazy palettes. No lines to save you and take attention away from value.

Basically let's not start environment pieces with a sketch ever again!

I like the thumbnail version better too, even though the perspective is technically off. It's more organic. Ugh. This happens every time. Oh well, it's done now.

No comments:

Post a Comment